Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Moral Compass

I outlined the three "starter criteria" for ladies yesterday.  Today, I want to focus on the first of the starter criteria, faith.

Let's backtrack to ancient times, or at least more ancient than now.  One of man's greatest achievements prior to the industrial revolution was the compass. A revolutionary concept of a magnetized needle floating in a liquid (usually water) that could find north in any situation.  It changed the world as we know it.

 
What many people don't know is that while an "old school" compass is very accurate, it actually has a problem that's called "declination".  The way a compass reads "north" depends on where you are at any given moment.  Declination changes depending on where you are in the world at any given time.  Magnetic north, the "natural pull of north" can vary from 0-20 degrees in the continental US.

Over a short distance, that's okay.  Magnetic north according to a compass doesn't send you that far off track.  Let's say you are in Chicago. Over a distance of 750 feet with a declination of 3 degrees you'd be off by about 41 feet.  Not a biggie - you're in the ball park.  Travel 3 miles where I live in Montana by magnetic north and you're off by approximately 3/4 a mile due to a 16 degree declination.  Even more confusing, over time declination can shift and change! 

To find "true north" in an area with declination you must know how much declination you are dealing with.  There are many guides out there that exist but you will need one in order to "figure it out" and not end off miles from the intended mark.

In order for one to have a moral compass that is capable of having a "true north" without declination, one must have a way to find "true north" in the first place.  "True north" for ladies is faith.

Our faith is what guides us.  It establishes a path and a purpose for our lives.  Faith gives us the tools to stay on that path and to help us find not only contentment, but also the way to the other two key starter criteria, hope and charity.  Faith is based on Truth.

I find my Faith to be immensely important in how I choose to live my life.  I am not saying that one "must" be of my faith in order to be a lady.  I was every inch a lady every time I have changed my religious inclinations with the final path leading to my conversion to the Catholic Church in my early thirties.  I am saying one must have faith.  One must be able to locate true north in order to be able to pursue it.

Begin delving into what your faith says about ladies.  If you are a Christian or Jewish please read about the Proverbs 31 woman.  If you wish to be a lady, you must have a true north and you must be open to what changes need to happen to follow that path.  I freely admit I have many, many changes to make still on my own journey.  Be open to those changes and to letting God mold you into who He needs you to be.  Pray.  Pray daily if not more often.  Go to church regularly.  Fill your cup with the goodness that comes from following true north rather than the garbage that comes from declination to the east or west.

No comments:

Post a Comment